It’s that time of year again! My church has a Chili Cook Off each year to raise money for mission work. My mom and I usually enter, of course.
So here’s MY Chili Recipe, created through meshing family recipes and adding what I love. It’s only mildly spicy:
- 2 lbs ground beef
- 1 can light red kidney beans
- 1 can dark red kidney beans
- 1 can pinto beans
- 1 can red beans or black beans
- 1 large jar of tomato sauce (I use Prego Meat)
- 2 tbsp minced onion
- 1 tbsp chili powder
- 1 tbsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp basil
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 1/4 tsp cumin
- 1/4 tsp salt
- between 1/4 and 1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
- Brown hamburger on the stove
- While it’s browning, dump all the beans into a strainer and rinse – helps get rid of the farts!
- Dump beans in large crock pot
- Add tomato sauce
- Add all spices
- Stir really well
- When hamburger is done, add it to crock pot as well and stir
- Turn the crock pot on – I like cooking on low for a couple hours
- It’s ready whenever it’s hot, but cooking longer does magical things for the flavor
And that’s it!
Unfortunately, I did too much the day before the Cook Off, and even though I made my chili I wasn’t up to attending.
More chili for me, I guess.
My mom won 1st place for her mild chili! So congratulations to her. *smile*
Do you have a family chili recipe? Do you participate in any cook offs? Do you like spicy or mild chili? Inquiring minds want to know!